The PGE Presents: Conversations Between Artists
This is our chance to talk with each other about topics that we as artists, creatives and humans need to have. The key is we talk to and with each other. There is no panel or special guest that is smarter on a topic. We are the collective smarter panel.
Topic to be conversed:
DIVERSITY AND THE ARTISTIC PRODUCTION
From Page to Stage
· How do we define diversity/equity/inclusion?
· Why is the default for a character without any ethnic specifics always non-ethnic (white)?
· When a character race/gender/able-bodied specific, is it appropriate to be played by someone other than written? When is it not? Is it OK for Emma Stone to play an Asian in “Aloha” etc.?
· Who should have final say in casting when diversity is involved? Playwright? Director? Producer? Your Mother?
· How do we get Actors of Color to show up to calls that are not specifically to their “type”?
· In order to change the current climate of Diverse casting, which is more impactful: Producing plays about diverse communities or casting roles more diversely?
· What can we do to encourage theatres, casting directors, and producers to go outside their casting comfort zone?